Learn why people trust wikiHow
How to Look Attractive (Girls)
Maintaining Personal HygieneChoosing Clothing and Hair StylesApplying MakeupRadiating ConfidenceShow 1 more...Show less...Article SummaryQuestions & AnswersRelated Articles
This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Together, they cited information from 25 references. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article meets our high standards.
wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article has over 1,575,417 views, and 16 testimonials from our readers, earning it our reader-approved status. Learn more...
Looking attractive starts from the inside out—if you feel attractive, others will notice your confidence and find you attractive as well. There are some basic things you can do to improve your appearance while also staying healthy, like washing your face daily, staying fit, and choosing outfits that show off your style. Give off confident vibes by smiling often and portraying positive body language, and feel free to enhance your features using makeup if desired.
1Maintaining Personal Hygiene
1Wash your face each day for clear skin. This is especially important if you've been sweating or are wearing makeup. Use a facial soap, rubbing it onto your skin gently before rinsing it with cold water. If you suffer from breakouts, try using a product with benzoyl peroxide to help clear your skin. Rinse your face with water in the morning after you wake up, and again before you go to bed each night to keep your skin clean.
- Use makeup remover wipes to easily get rid of excess makeup.
- Consider exfoliating at least once a week, or treat yourself to a mini facial using face masks from your local drug store or big box store.
2Shower regularly so you're smelling fresh and clean. Try to shower every 1-2 days to get rid of any sweat or dirt on your skin. Use a body soap and shampoo your hair every couple of days as well, especially if you've been sweating or outdoors.
- Use a conditioner for your hair to make it softer.
- After you've dried off from your shower, apply deodorant to keep your body smelling fresh.
3Brush your teeth twice a day. This will keep your teeth looking healthy while also keeping your breath smelling fresh and clean. Brush for two minutes, both in the morning and before bed. Try to floss every night as well to get rid of any extra food stuck in between your teeth.
- Don't forget to gently brush your tongue—a lot of bacteria that cause bad breath can hang out there.
- Use mouthwash to kill any bacteria in your mouth as well.
4Use a teeth whitener to brighten your smile. This could be an at-home remedy like baking soda and water, or a store-bought kit that whitens your smile. If you buy a teeth whitener, follow the directions carefully to ensure it works correctly. You may need to use a teeth whitener several times to achieve the white smile you're hoping for.
- Mix a spoonful of baking soda with equal amounts of water and scrub the mixture on your teeth using a toothbrush.
- Invest in a whitening toothpaste that will whiten your teeth slowly as you brush regularly.
- Purchase whitening strips that you attach to your teeth, letting them whiten your smile for a specific amount of time before removing them.
5Brush your hair to get rid of any tangles. Even if you don't plan on styling your hair, it's important to brush it out to keep it healthy. Use a comb or regular brush to gently remove any tangles, taking your time and making sure you reach all of your hair.
- Consider making a hair appointment if you notice you have lots of split ends that need trimming.
- Brushing your hair will give it a natural shine.
6Trim your nails to keep them looking clean. Use a pair of nail clippers and cut both your fingernails and toenails if your nails have grown past your fingertips. When you trim them, try to keep a sliver of white along the nail, and clean out any dirt from underneath the nails using a cuticle pusher or soft scrub brush.
- If your cuticles are looking dry, try adding a drop or two of cuticle oil to them.
- When you're trimming your nails, try to follow the natural curve of each nail instead of cutting them straight across.
7Shave regularly to remove hair, if desired. How often and where you shave is entirely up to you—it's not required, but many people do feel more attractive once they've shaved. Women tend to shave their legs and underarms every few days, while men shave their facial hair depending on the look they want to achieve. Use shaving cream to protect your skin, as well as a sharp razor.
- If you need to shave, the perfect time to do this is while you're in the shower since your pores will be open.
- Avoid shaving if you have any open cuts or rashes.
- If you've used the same razor head several times, it's likely time to switch it out.
2Choosing Clothing and Hair Styles
1Pick out clothes according to your body type. There are all sorts of different body shapes, such as pear, apple, hourglass, or rectangle. Figuring out your body type will help you determine what kinds of clothes look best on you, narrowing down your search and making your body look its best.
- For example, if you're very curvy with a slim waist, you're likely an hourglass, while a top heavy shape is an apple.
- If you're pear-shaped, things like brightly colored shirts and high-waisted pants look best on you, while scoop-neck shirts and dresses look great on a rectangle-shaped figure.
Choose clothes that make you feel confident. You want to feel good about each article of clothing you own. Get rid of any clothing that no longer fits, and replace them with pieces you would feel confident wearing to a meeting, school event, or night out. Avoid choosing clothing just because you think it's trendy—only pick out clothes you truly love.
3Dress appropriately for the occasion. The perfect outfit for a late-night concert is going to be different from the perfect outfit for a work meeting. Make sure you pick out clothes depending on the event or activity so that you look and feel your best.
- A good school outfit might include fitted jeans, a floral top, and fashionable sneakers.
- If you're going to work, you might wear a button-down with khakis and a belt.
- If you're going out with friends, opt for a fitted dress or nice pants and a dark-colored top.
4Put gel in your hair to create a distinct style. Use gel to create a spiked or slicked-back look, or use it just to keep certain hairs in place. Apply it modestly to avoid making your hair super hard and crusty—you can always add more if necessary.
- Purchase hair gel from your local drug store or big box store.
- Use a comb to help you style your hair with gel if desired.
5Create waves or curls in your hair for a bouncy look. Use a curling iron to create different sizes of curls, wrapping each strand of hair carefully around the heated rod for a few seconds before releasing them. Leave your hair wrapped around the rod for just a couple seconds for light waves, while keeping it wrapped longer will lead to tighter curls.
- Avoid leaving your hair wrapped around the curling iron for more than 10 seconds as it can burn your hair.
6Straighten your hair for a sleek hairdo. Use a hair straightener to straighten your hair if desired, pulling the straightener down the length of each strand slowly once it's warmed up. If your hair is naturally pretty straight, use a brush and blow dryer to achieve a sleek look, drying your hair while brushing it out.
- Don't hold the straightener on a strand of hair for too long or it will burn your hair.
7Add accessories to your hair to emphasize your personal style. This could be things like headbands, hair clips, ribbons, or even hats. Choose accessories that go with your outfit and that show your creative style.
- For example, wear a black headband with a black and white dress, or use butterfly hair clips in your hair to show your love of nature.
- Put on a sun hat or baseball cap for a laid-back look.
1Choose a foundation that matches your skin tone. It's easiest to choose a foundation that's right for your skin in the store, as many stores have test bottles you can use to see if the foundation matches your skin. Once you've found the right color, apply it with a brush or sponge, making sure it's in a light, even layer on your face.
- Use a primer before using foundation to prepare your skin for the makeup.
- Apply the foundation to the lighter part of your wrist, or swipe it along your jawline to ensure it matches.
2Cover up any blemishes using concealer for a natural look. If you don't want to wear tons of makeup but would like to conceal any marks or breakouts on your face that are giving you trouble, try using concealer. It comes in many forms, from liquid to a solid stick, as well as in many different shades. Apply concealer to the spots you want covered up, starting with a light layer and blending it into your skin.
- Most concealers come with an application brush if they're in liquid form, while a concealer stick can be applied directly onto the skin.
- To find the right shade, apply a dot or two of concealer on the lighter side of your wrist to see which one matches.
3Add mascara or eyeliner to make your eyes pop. Carefully apply eyeliner on your top and bottom eyelids if desired, using thin strokes that go around the whole eyelid. Apply your mascara using the mascara wand, teasing your eyelashes from the base of the eyelid up and outwards, giving them definition.
- Many people just apply their eyeliner to their top lid, making it as thin or thick as desired.
- Use an eyelash curler to add a curve to your lashes.
- Add eyeshadow to your lids to give them depth and color.
4Pick out lip gloss or lipstick to add color and shine to your lips. Visit your local drug store, beauty store, or big box store to find a wide selection of lip gloss or lipstick. Choose a shade that you like and that goes well with your skin tone, applying it evenly to your lips.
- For example, if you have fair skin, a lip gloss with pink tones in it would look great, while darker skin works well with lip gloss or lipsticks in deeper reds.
- A regular lip moisturizer is great for keeping your lips hydrated.
- Visit a beauty store to ask an employee for advice on how to choose the right color for you.
5Put on bronzer or blush to give your face a little color. When you're applying bronzer, use a plump brush to swipe it over the areas of your face that the sunlight would hit, such as the top of your forehead, the hollow of your cheeks, and down your nose. Apply blush to the apples of your cheeks. Start with a small amount, as it's easier to add more bronzer or blush than take it away.
- Tap off any excess makeup from your brush before applying—it won't take much bronzer or blush to be noticeable.
6Fill in your eyebrows to make them look fuller or darker. If you have super light eyebrows or just want to make them stand out a little more, purchase an eyebrow pencil. After you've picked out the right color, use short, horizontal strokes that follow the natural curve of your eyebrow. Be careful not to press too hard—you can always go back and add more lines if needed.
- Using short strokes will make the lines look like your natural eyebrow hairs.
- Choose an eyebrow pencil that's the same shade, or one shade darker, as your hair color.
1Smile as often as possible. Smiling is a simple way to completely transform the energy you give off to others. By giving a smile, you'll look more approachable, and you'll even feel happier. Try smiling more often to show that you're confident and friendly.
- Smiling politely to people you interact with throughout the day, such as the cashier at the grocery store or the receptionist at your doctor's office, is a great way to show your kindness.
2Practice good posture. The way you carry yourself tells other people a lot about how you feel, so make sure you're communicating confidence. Avoid looking at the ground when you're standing or walking around and hold your head high. If seated, sit up tall with your shoulders back and relaxed.
- Practice walking with poise by avoiding dragging your feet or hunching over.
3Avoid thinking negative thoughts about yourself. If you're constantly worried about your flaws, it will show in how you present yourself to the world. Try to focus on the aspects of yourself that you love, whether it's something about your looks or your personality, and put any negative feelings aside.
- Try saying what you like best about yourself when standing in front of the mirror.
4Spend time exercising to feel fit and strong. Try to spend 30 minutes each day doing some form of exercise, whether it's going to the gym, playing a sport, or even just taking a walk. Not only will exercising keep your body healthy and fit, but the endorphins will have you feeling happier and more confident.
- Work out with a friend to keep you feeling motivated.
- Try playing sports like volleyball, basketball, tennis, or swimming.
5Have a sense of humor. This doesn't mean you need to tell jokes all the time, but try to let loose a little and avoid taking things out of your control too seriously. If you're able to laugh off things that go wrong, others will be attracted to your ability to go with the flow.
- Making someone laugh is a great way to ease any tension and make you more attractive, whether it's through a joke or just a funny comment.
Can a woman still look attractive with a little bit of chubbiness?
Of course! Beautiful women come in all shapes and sizes.
Is it true that a girl needs lots of makeup in order to look pretty?
How do I make myself feel pretty? Everyone says I am pretty, but I can't bring myself to believe them. I've read so many articles and tried so many things, but I'm stuck
Even if you don't feel confident or pretty, pretend you do. It helps. Hide encouraging notes for yourself around the house. Look in the mirror, and instead of focusing on what you feel makes you look ugly, focus on what you think is pretty about you.
What if really am ugly? I mean ugly to the point where people can't stop telling me I'm ugly.
Ignore them. You're not ugly. The reason people say this to you is because they're insecure about themselves. Stay away from these people. Make friends with people who don't care what you look like. True friends only care about what's inside. Smile and be confident. These things will make you more attractive and you'll show the bullies that they can't bring you down.
What are some traits that would make a boy like me?
Simply being confident, honest and being yourself is the best way to get anyone to like you. Developing a good sense of humor and being easygoing can also make a boy attracted to you.
How can I be attractive when I have low self esteem caused by my ginger hair?
Embrace your hair! Try wearing colors that complement red hair, such as blue or green. Try silencing those voices in your head that say you're not pretty enough because of your hair color; there are some good tips in Challenge Negative Self Talk. Walk with confidence, even if you have to fake it; people with confidence appear more attractive overall.
How much makeup should I wear at eleven years old?
Try Chapstick and a little bit of mascara if necessary. Go for a brown mascara at your age.
What is a smart way to keep hair curly-looking?
I recommend that you identify the type of curly hair you have as a first step. Next, look for products such as leave-in conditioner with which you can hydrate your hair with after a shower. Right after that, apply gel or mousse, then scrunch up your hair to give it a bit more shape.
What if I can't wear tight clothes?
That’s totally fine! Just wear whatever you’re most comfortable in.
Ask a Question
- Appreciate all of your flaws! Everybody is different, and everybody has features they're most and least pleased about. Focus on highlighting the features you're confident about instead of fixating on any perceived flaws.
- The only person that can make you feel pretty is you.So, ignore what other people say and find a way to make yourself feel pretty.
- Did Tamilians build ancient Cambodia
- Does Herbalife really work for weight loss
- Do trash pandas make good pets
- The format of balance sheet
- Did you ever see a perfect game
- Can inconsistency be avoided in DBMS
- How can I rollback my AMD drivers
- Why Chandigarh Metro construction is being delayed
- Why do people want to feel desired
- What are the most important global challenge
- What is the secret to being attractive
- Is Sonu Nigam Nepali
- What are the lowest paying medical specialties
- Is connotated a word
- What are the best funnel mapping tools