Drinking alcohol while taking antidepressants is generally not advised because alcohol can make depression worse.
It can also increase the side effects of some antidepressants, such as drowsiness, dizziness and co-ordination problems.
It's best to avoid drinking alcohol if you're taking antidepressants, particularly if you're going to drive or operate machinery.
Advice for different types of antidepressants
The information and advice below is specific to the different types of antidepressants that are available.
Never stop taking antidepressant medication just so you can drink alcohol.
Stopping antidepressants suddenly can cause withdrawal effects, such as flu-like symptoms, sensations in the body that feel like electric shocks, and fits (seizures).
Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
SSRIs generally do not cause problems when taken with alcohol, and it may be safe to drink alcohol while taking them.
But the manufacturers advise avoiding alcohol during treatment because it might make you feel drowsy.
Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
TCAs can make you feel drowsy and affect your co-ordination, particularly during the first few weeks.
The manufacturers advise avoiding alcohol while taking TCAs, although it may be safe to drink small amounts after a few weeks once the side effects have settled.
Monoamine-oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
A substance called tyramine, found in some alcoholic drinks, such as wine, beer and sherry, can cause serious side effects if taken with MAOIs, including a sudden and dangerous rise in blood pressure.
If you're taking an MAOI, it's best not to drink alcohol and avoid consuming food or drinks containing tyramine.
Most other antidepressants are not known to cause problems when taken with alcohol, but manufacturers generally advise not drinking.
For example, you should avoid alcohol if you're taking mirtazapine, as it can make you feel very sleepy.
- How can I work as online tutor
- Is Assata Shakur innocent
- Is Penny Stock Sniper a scam
- Does skin cream and dermatologists actually help
- Why is PCR needed for gel electrophoresis
- Who was the son of Narakasura
- What does architecture mean in philosophy
- Why do bathroom stalls use security screws
- How do you solve x x 3125
- What is word embedding in machine learning
- Are most Navy SEALs highly intelligent people
- Whos the brand ambassador of Kullu Manali
- What is a spud wrench used for
- Is AppSally a legit site
- Is Google listening to me
- Can I bake bacon
- What is a car loan
- Why cant people stop cheating
- What is your favorite memory of 2017
- How does swimming help you breathe better