Freddie Mercury's biographer Lesley-Ann Jones has called his biopic Bohemian Rhapsody “a superficial montage of snapshots.”
The film has become the second highest-grossing music biopic in North America, despite mixed critic reviews.
Jones, a former journalist whose other books include biographies of David Bowie and Marc Bolan, grew to know Mercury when she interviewed, and traveled with, Queen from the early 1980s.
"The film is a superficial montage of snapshots of the life and times of Freddie and Queen," she told Billboard.
“Freddie was 45 when he died. No two-hour flick could portray his whole life story, or capture his true essence. His life and his personality were too complicated for that.”
Jones added the most interesting time of Mercury's life was his early years, from his time in Zanzibar and school.
"For me," said Jones, "there is an entire second film in Freddie's childhood and teens."
Then Selim Rauer, who wrote Freddie Mercury, said the film has an “unconscious homophobic bias."
In an interview with the Irish Times he said it “fails to meet even the minimum factual or ethical standards one should expect from such a project,” and accuses Brian May and Roger Taylor of trying to “reinvent reality”.
The movie begins - and is about in large part - Mercury's relationship with Mary Austin, who he proposed to.
Jim Hutton, who he had a relationship before his death from AIDS-related illnesses, crops up too.
Rami Malek, who plays Mercury, has previously said he “would’ve loved to have incorporated more” about the star's relationship with Jim Hutton.
Later, speaking in an interview with WHO magazine, he added: “I just kept pushing for more of that aspect of his life… I don’t know if we ever felt fulfilled by it.”
Some international versions of Bohemian Rhapsody have also cut scenes featuring Hutton and Mercury.
The Malaysian Film Censorship Board cut the pairing and references to same-sex relationships.
Bohemian Rhapsody is in cinemas now.
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Does Trump have Buddha nature
- Why should I use beard oil
- Why did Margaret Thatcher admire Winston Churchill
- Which post has false information
- Is Innovation and Entrepreneurship a good major
- Will we forget parts of history
- Can you get 100k upvotes on Quora
- Is equality of opportunity a weasel word
- What is the transcription of around
- What type of account is a passbook
- Does a 401k loan have a penalty
- Who are the competitors to Microsoft?no_redirect=1
- What is pressure sensitive tape
- What happens when a Death Eater dies
- Is UK institutionally ageist
- What is optimization in economics
- What is difference between EEE and CSE
- How can I learn basic legal hacking
- Is Praveen Kumar Singh mad
- What if Ron kissed Hermione