When your old scissors get dull, you don't have to replace them. Simply sharpen them at home.
There are different ways to sharpen different types of scissors.
- To sharpen plain, household scissors that are very dull, start by using the coarse side of a bench stone. Simply open the scissors and place the edge to be sharpened on the stone. Pull the blade toward you from one end of the stone to the other while maintaining contact with the stone. After doing this a few times, repeat the process with the fine side of the stone or with sandpaper.
- To sharpen scissors with curved blades, follow the procedure above, rocking the blade so it maintains contact with the stone.
- If the scissors have very long blades or you're using a very short stone, you'll need to sharpen the blades in parts.
- To sharpen pruning shears, it's necessary to first take them apart. This is because pruning shears have four surfaces to sharpen. Place the part to be sharpened on a flat work area, and sharpen all the surfaces with a coarse stone, sandpaper or a coarse emery cloth. You'll know you're done when all the surfaces are uniformly sharp.
When sharpening scissors, it's important to start with a coarse material and then progress to finer materials, until you've achieved the sharpness desired [source: Larson].
If all this sounds too complicated, you can purchase a hand-held scissors sharpener. Simply insert the scissors in the sharpener's slots and pull the blades through. The sharpener automatically adjusts the angle as you push and pull your scissors through the slots [source: thefamilyhandyman].
- Is social status the same as power
- Hows Hindustan University Chennai
- Is D Wave for real
- Is Christmas a popular holiday in Uruguay
- Where did the Maori people come from
- What is your best question in Quora
- Why do I not trust my rationality
- Is the future of AAP bright
- Does salt have magical properties or powers
- What industries create the most billionaires
- Could k? be considered an affricate
- Is wealth worth it
- What books should a beginner read 1?no_redirect=1
- How do you detect a roof leak
- What is taught in web development
- Which ski mountain has the greatest vertical
- Who are the electoral college
- How are presidential pardons granted
- What food sounds good but tastes bad
- What shortens the life of a smartphone