Department of Chemical Engineering
Address for Correspondence:
Dr. Amit Kumar Gupta
Head of Department, Chemical Engg
BIT Sindri, P.O.: Sindri Institute, Sindri
Dist: Dhanbad, Jharkhand, India PIN: 828123
About the Department:
The Department of Chemical Engineering, established in 1956, is one of the oldest disciplines at Bit Sindri. It is considered as a premier center for Chemical Engineering in India by industries as well as academia. The department offers four-year B. Tech. degree course and postgraduate program of M. Tech. with specialization in Chemical Plant Design in Engineering. It has experienced and qualified faculties, associated with numerous industrial projects to promote research and development. The department has several well-equipped laboratories such as Unit Operations Lab, Process Control Lab, Petroleum Refinery Engineering Lab, Plastic Technology Lab, Process Engineering Lab, Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics Lab etc. With talented and well-placed students, Department of Chemical Engineering holds a good association of its alumni all over the world.
Message by Head of the Department:
Chemical Engineering Dept. has been established in 1956 with three faculties and they have successfully carried out entire department work. At present there are 17 faculties from different states with different specialization and impendent knowledge. The academic programs have been designed in a systematic and flexible structure to acquire value added knowledge and overall improvement of students.
Our Dept. maintains a good record in the research area, PSU domain and consultancy. To further enhance our academia, department has MoU with CSIR-CIMFR lab, IIT-ISM Dhanbad and offers interdisciplinary courses and workshops. Now we are in a process of establishing a world class research facility and learning in order to develop new technologies for betterment of society.
To create the environment in the department of Chemical Engineering for all round development of students so that they can compete in the global market.
- To impart a quality technical education in UG and PG courses
- To activate and pursue research in Thrust/Emerging Areas of Technology.
- To provide consultancy services to Industries and Entrepreneurs.
- To create qualified human resources to cater the needs of sound national economy through developmental activities.
- To make the department a center of excellence for research and development in Chemical Engineering and related fields.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
PEO1: Knowledge: To generate high quality human with fundamental knowledge resources in our core areas of chemical engineering competence and in the emerging fields of research, as well.
PEO2: Design Abilities: To make valuable contribution in technology with problem solving skills, laboratory skills, and design skills for technical careers in solving critical problems for social and economic development of the nation.
PEO3: Professional concern: To exert focused efforts to generate graduate students, competent for finding their place in the leading companies and work as an effective team member with communication and teamwork skills as well as an appreciation for ethical behavior necessary to thrive in their careers.
PEO4: Specialization aspects: Graduates of the program will be prepared to pursue career choices in chemical engineering, allied and interdisciplinary fields of industries and renowned educational institutes for pursuing higher education that benefit from a strong background in applied sciences or engineering.
PEO5: Self-Learning: Graduates will be practiced to persist their professional development through education and personal development established on their awareness of library resources and professional societies, workshops, industrial visits, expert talks, industry interactions, etc.
Program specific outcomes (PSOs):
PSO1: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science and chemical engineering basics and to solve complicated problems, critical issues in chemical Engineering and to design equipments in core chemical and allied industries.
PSO2: Development of new process plant with study of basic requirements and feasibility studies with knowledge in instrumentation, process dynamics and control, process design perform modelling and simulation using modern chemical tools such as CHEMCAD, MATLAB and etc.
PSO3: Be prepared to work in Chemical Industries and able to identify the health, safety, legal, environmental and cultural issues and to excel in careers in the chemical, petroleum, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, food, biotechnology, energy, materials processing or other related industries and organizations.
- The department has an annual intake of 91 students in B.Tech. course and 25 students in M. Tech. course.
- The department is provided with a conference hall to conduct seminars, workshops etc.
- Along with theoretical and numerical subjects, the students are also trained in Computer Aided Design in 7th Semester so as to enhance their computational skills to fit the need of the industrial plants.
- The qualified faculties guide the students in B. Tech. and M. Tech. projects to improve their research acumen.
- Industrial tours are frequently conducted by the department to various industries such as SAIL, IOCL, HINDALCO, ACC, CFRI, BCCL to provide industrial exposure to its students.
- Seminars and Symposia on new technologies and contemporary challenges of chemical engineering are organized regularly.
- Every student of the department is a member of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (IIChE).
- To keep the students in touch of the latest technical explorations in the field, department has a library with newer research journals and numerous course books.
- The lab consists of test rigs such as pressure controller, temperature controller, level controller and flow controller in PDC lab; Mass transfer with and without reaction, Binary distillation column in Unit operations lab; orifice meter & venturi meter in Fluid Mechanics lab; refrigeration cycles, heat pump in Thermodynamics Lab etc.
- The department is well equipped with computer lab facility having a strength of 28 computers that makes it suitable for simulation and computational works.
- Fluid Mechanics Lab
- Fluidization Engineering Lab
- Thermodynamics Lab
- Process Control Lab
- Petroleum Refinery Lab
- Fluidization Engineering Lab
- Process Engineering Lab
- Unit Operations Lab
- Computer Lab
# Click on the name for Curriculum vitae.
- Are hookahs allowed in the Delhi metro
- How do we misinterpret the Bible
- Have your seen someone almost die
- Why does Linux not succeed on desktop
- What makes a person likable for you
- Who in India deserves the Rajkiya Samman
- What was JNU 2017 BA cutoff
- Are credit karma scores lower
- What is Heuristic Evaluations
- What does Welfare for the rich mean
- Have you tasted lab grown meat
- Who is the owner of Bugatti
- What is the best song of Normani
- How bad is Vladimir Putin
- Is the USA trying to start WW3
- What is the French term for rebel
- Is business analytics tough