Treasury bonds pay a fixed rate of interest every six months until they mature. They are issued in a term of 30 years.
You can buy Treasury bonds from us in TreasuryDirect. You also can buy them through a bank or broker. (We no longer sell bonds in Legacy Treasury Direct, which we are phasing out.)
You can hold a bond until it matures or sell it before it matures.
Use Treasury bonds to:
- Diversify your investment portfolio
- Finance education
- Supplement retirement income
Rates & Terms
- Bonds pay interest every six months until they mature. When a bond matures, the owner is paid the face value of the bond.
- Bonds can be held until maturity or sold before maturity.
- Minimum Term of Ownership: In TreasuryDirect, 45 days
- Interest Earning Period: To maturity
- Interest income is exempt from state and local income taxes.
- Interest income is subject to federal income tax.
Treasury Bonds-Related FAQs
- How can I place a competitive bid for a Treasury bond?
- How do I transfer a Treasury bond from Legacy Treasury Direct to TreasuryDirect?
- Do some Treasury bonds still exist in paper form?
Want e-mail notification of auction results and upcoming auctions? Sign up for our mailing list.
- Can life be actually lived without tensions
- When did humans first evolve
- How are biological species named and identified
- Is oxygen naturally mixed in all water
- How do you manage an IT inventory
- How is the water quality in Madurai
- How much is Disney Plus
- What do hermit crabs eat in captivity
- Can a metaphysical thing become physical
- What is a list for exorcism
- Should Israel annex the West Bank settlements
- When should I add herbs while cooking
- What is Marilyn Manson doing these days
- What are the best fake news websites
- When do atoms donate and accept electrons
- When were eyeglasses invented
- Does QEMU work well under VirtualBox
- Is Chem HL easier than Physics HL
- What is 1000 100 1000 10000
- Is it unethical to track emails