While we may have chosen 100 of the best Bollywood movies, with over six decades of popular Hindi cinema, it's nearly impossible to choose just 11 of the best Bollywood songs. So instead, we've picked just a taster of the world of Bollywood music, selecting 11 of the most memorable and important songs.
With films dating from 1951 to 2014, this list will give you a glimpse into just how much Bollywood has changed over the last 60 years, while providing you with some absolute bangers you'll want to add to your playlists, too.
RECOMMENDED: The 100 best romantic films
The best Bollywood songs
‘Chaar Bottle Vodka’
Film: ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’ (2013)
A song dedicated to mischief and being a player, with superstar-in-waiting Ranbir Kapoor – featured in our list of the ten best Bollywood actors – popping, locking and hip-thrusting through a salsa and reggaeton-flavoured party track. It sports a catchy chorus, as well as a jaunty sing-along melody and the immortal lyrics, ‘Bollywood, Bollywood, very, very jolly good’. This is huge, as 50 Cent might say, ‘in da club’.
‘Kal Ho Naa Ho’
Film: ‘Kal Ho Naa Ho’ (2003)
An example of a song recurring throughout a film, the flute intro from the title track of ‘Kal Ho Naa Ho’ haunts this massively successful early noughties film. Sonu Nigam’s rich, textured voice dreamily animates exquisite, poetic lyrics by Javed Akhtar (of screen-writing duo Salim-Javed, responsible for ‘Sholay’ and ‘Deewaar’), and soundtracks a love triangle with a terminal-illness twist.
The entire soundtrack – by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy – is brilliant and the phat hip hop production of Mahe Vee reflects twenty-first century Bollywood absorbing ‘outernational’ influences.
- How can I continue to love myself
- What scares US military personnel the most
- Can Thanos Infinity Snap be reversed
- Should reaction videos be banned from YouTube
- Why is Melbourne the best city
- How early can DACA be renewed
- How DNA formed from RNA
- Do parents see their children as possessions
- Why is Iran Persia ethnically very diverse
- Who is Steve Nissen
- How does my Instagram code enter?no_redirect=1
- Do any businesses still accept personal checks
- What are activities before writing paper
- Did you know facts mongolia
- Where can I study maritime studies
- Is India a muted nation under BJP
- Can we earn by typing
- Do you like traveling alone internationally
- Where should I ski in Aspen