Chelsea are set to cut their losses on Spanish international striker Alvaro Morata in the January transfer window.
Morata started brightly in his first season at Stamford Bridge but quickly started to struggle for form and with a back injury.
He lost his place to Olivier Giroud, signed from Arsenal in January 2018, but rumours have surfaced over the Frenchman’s exit as he has less than a year remaining on his current deal.
Morata joined for £65m from Real Madrid in 2017 and scored 15 goals in 48 appearances last season, and has just three to his name this season under new coach Maurizio Sarri.
Chelsea had been willing to give Morata the time and games to show he could turn his stay around but has failed to convince them it is likely, and The Sun report that they are now willing to bring in a new striker in January.
READ MORE: Blackpool FC, a Kyrgyzstan money-laundering conviction and a non-takeover
READ MORE: Ranked! The 10 best Championship players so far this season
READ MORE: Vidal find £700,000 for bar brawl
With Eden Hazard in exceptional form, but regularly linked with a move to Real Madrid, the club do not want to put too much pressure on him to provide goals, nor do they want to be over-reliant on the Belgian should he leave at the end of the season.
Michy Batshuayi wants to return to Stamford Bridge at the end of his loan at Valencia in La Liga, having spent the last half of the 2017/18 season at Borussia Dortmund, but few at the club think he has the ability to become the first-team choice.
Chelsea have made an excellent start to the season under Sarri and could continue to challenge Liverpool and Manchester City for the title, but they believe there is only a realistic chance if Morata is replaced in the winter.
Players under consideration are AC Milan’s Patrick Cutrone and RB Leipzig’s Timo Werner, but their young age makes them a risk. At the other end of the spectrum, Edin Dzeko, Robert Lewandowski and Karim Benzema could make an immediate impact even if they would be short-term players.
- What industries verticals require two factor authentication
- Who is your favourite celebrity
- What did you want
- Why is the US threatening Pakistan?no_redirect=1
- Why dont some countries have seasons
- Is Marvel Comics doing a reboot
- Does food insecurity contribute to obesity
- What do Russians think of Sri Lanka
- Why are dogs noses black
- Is Nepal present leadership pro Chinese
- Where is Patagonia located
- What is Raymond Mill 1
- Who is from Greece
- Is it hard to overcome PTSD
- What will a space force consist of
- Why are Korean people so beautiful
- Do all communist nations require a dictator
- How many rakats are there in Maghrib