A couple years back—eons ago in social media time—when Facebook was purely the domain of college and high-school students, there was a little feature called the “honesty box” you could toggle on to solicit feedback about what others really thought about you. As the then-parent of a high-school kid I thought it was particularly cruel. It’s tough enough hearing what the mean girls have to say to your face, let alone what they’ll whisper in the virtual cafeteria.
Well, enterprising blogger Renee DiResta came up with a twist on the honesty box, tracking stereotypes about each state by using Google’s search algorithm. As DiResta explains:
For each of the fifty states and DC, I asked Google: “Why is [State] so ” and let it autocomplete. It seemed like an ideal question to get at popular assumptions, since “Why is [State] so X?” presupposes that X is true.
Oh, the heck with methodology. What do people think about US?
According to DiResta’s findings (which are plotted on a nifty interactive map), everyone wants to know why Georgia is (a) so hot; (b) so racist; (c) so boring; and (d) so humid.
New York, on the other hand, is “great,” “populated,” “expensive,” and “big” while Colorado, the mean-girl Queen Bee of the states, is “cold,” “awesome,” “healthy,” and “skinny.”
Well, at least Georgians can, as always, take schadenfreud-y comfort in looking to our neighbors like Mississippi (“poor, racist, backwards”), Florida (“weird, trashy”) and Tennessee (“fat, stupid”).
>> Click here to explore DiResta’s map and analysis of her findings.
- Why not Texit Can Texas secede US
- Which post has false information
- Does Triphala reduce cholesterol
- What does the word womyn mean
- How does electronics harm our body
- What is I 129
- What are the solutions to climatic migration
- What would make our Strategy site successful
- What are some antonyms of humble
- What does work mean to you
- Is China in trouble in 2019
- How much of the body is replaceable
- Whose Biopic is best Dhoni or Sachin
- Are hotels in Australia cheaper during winter
- Which TV character influenced you most Why
- What is the fuction of instrumentation