This article is all about historical, geographical, social, religious, cultural, amazing, rare, unknown interesting facts about Chhattisgarh (CG).
Map of Chhattisgarh
Quick Basic Facts about Chhattisgarh
- Capital – Raipur
- Official Language – Hindi
- Main Spoken Languages – Hindi, Chhattisgarhi
- Area – 1,35,133 Sq Km
- Area Rank – 10th
- Population – 2,55,45,198
- Population Rank – 16th
- Sex Ratio – 991 females per 1000 male
- Literacy Rate – 71.04 %
- No. of Districts – 27
- Assembly seats – 90 (Unicameral)
- Lok Sabha Seats – 11
- Rajya Sabha Seats – 5
- Highest peak – Bailadila range
- First Chief Minister – Ajit Jogi
- First Governor – D N Sahay
- Created on – 1 Nov 2000
State Symbols of Chhattisgarh
- State Tree – Sal
- State Animal – Wild Buffalo
- State Bird – Pahari Myna
Historical Facts about Chhattisgarh
- Ancient name of this region is Dakshin-Kausal.
- The prominent rulers of this region in the medieval times were Kalachuris from 980 to 1741 AD. Chola dynasty also attacked and ruled some part of this region in 11th century.
- During pre-modern times this region was under the control of Marathas (Bhonsale clan of Nagpur). After that its control went to British from 1845-1947.
- Chhattisgarh is the 26th state of the India and was carved out from Madhya Pradesh on Nov 1, 2000.
- Chandulal Chandrakar of Chhattisgarh Rajya Nirman Manch played the leading role in late 90s for creation of this separate state.
Geographical Facts about Chhattisgarh
Niagra of India : Chitrakot Falls
- Chitrkot Waterfalls is located near Jagdalpur in Bastar district. The name of its river is Indravati. Due to its large span during monsoon season it is also called as Niagra Falls of India.
- The state accounts for more than 70 % of India’s total production of “Tendu leaves” (used for making bidi).
- Though three big rivers Mahanadi, Godavari and Sone flows through it, there is no proper means of irrigation developed.
- The central part of the state lies in fertile range of Mahanadi and is gives good production of rice.
- Dantewada is the largest district of Chhattisgarh in terms of area. Raipur is the largest by population.
Social and Cultural Facts about Chhattisgarh
- Main festivals of the state are Pola, Nawakhai, Dussehra, Diwali, Holi and Gowardhan puja.
- Chhattisgarh is one of the states with highest Schedule Tribe population. SC & ST taken together constitute 50% of States population.
- Literacy rank of this state is 71.04 % which is below than national average of 74.04 %. CG comes at 20th rank in terms of literacy among Indian states.
- Bhoramdeo temple located in Kabirdham district is considered to be built in 11th century by Nagwanshi Kings. Due to its erotic sculptures it is also called as Khajuraho of Chhattisgarh.
- Panthi, Rawat Nacha, Saila are the main folk dances of state.
Pandwani Artist : Teejan Bai
- Pandwani is a song and music mixed narration of incidences from Mahabharat. Teejan Bai is the popular Pandwani folk artist. This song form is famous in Chhatisgarh and Madhya Pradesh.
Economic Facts about Chhattisgarh
- It is the most backward region of country but is rich minerals and earns from mining activity. Economy is mainly driven by the mineral resources of the state
- Mineral Resources of Chhattisgarh – Copper, Coal, Iron, Limestone, Bauxite, Dolomite, Manganese, and Diamond.
- Main Industries of Chhattisgarh – most of the industries are mineral based like BALCO, Bhilai Steel Plant. The well known Baldia mines, lot of power projects, Steel plant of Bhilai and many other cement factories belong to this state.
- Chhattisgarh accounts for 15 % of total steel production of country.
- Agricultural Products of Chhattisgarh – Tendu leaves, Chironji, harhar, baheda, mahu flowers, sal seeds.
Famous Persons from Chhattisgarh
- Thakur Pyarelal Singh – was the eminent freedom fighter from the state. He was born in Rajnandgaon district.
- Anurag Basu – is the famous Director and Producer of Bollywood film industry. He has directed films like Murder, Life in a Metro, Kites, Gangster. He was born in Bhilai of Chhattisgarh.
- Rajesh Chauhan – was the famous Off spinner of Indian Cricket team. He was born in Ranchi but presently resides in Bhilai.
- Abhishek Agrawal – is the famous young novelist who was born in Bhilai. His famous novel Sorry for Loving you was also published in Hindi with title “Ek Chahat Adhuri Si”.
- Saba Anjum Karim – is the hockey player who represented Indian women’s hockey team in many international occasions. She belongs to Durg of Chhattisgarh.
- Habib Tanvir – is the famous Urdu and Hindi poet and writer and associated with theatres. He was born in Raipur.
- Do data scientists experience layoffs
- How useful is Linux for electrical engineers
- What are the features of reproductive health
- Why are spherical and cylindrical coordinates required
- Why are houses so flammable
- How should I start studying psychology
- Which European countries still have overseas colonies
- Where can I get UPSC for free
- What of engaged men masturbate
- Are Oahu beaches open
- How secure really are secure servers
- Is wheat beer a lager
- What are the scenic spots of Jaipur
- Why am I struggling with girls
- How do I avoid getting sick
- What is the full meaning of ATC
- Who reveals the worlds largest computer chip
- What are good scheduling software blogs